Talk around Tinsel Town- Lots happening in Tinsel town in the final quarter of the year. Lots of Big releases, gossips, news and views. Read further as I pick the famous few!
* ROBOT ROBOT ROBOT! Superstar Rajinikanth, Aishwarya Rai starrer is making a splash not in our circuits but internationally as well. Although the Hindi version started slow, picked up latter through WOM, Tamil numbers don’t fit on my calculator screen. Read my review on it and read Anuvab Pal's smart take on Rajinikanth v/s Ayodhya verdict.
If he (Rajinikanth) showed up at a disputed site, that's where a temple, mosque, church, synagogue would come up in simultaneous harmony. His answer to Ayodhya was one simple sentence: 'I am Superstar Rajinikanth and I have a new movie.' HAIL THALAIVAR!
* KBC new seasons starts soon. The changes to the format were revealed at a media meet last week.
In the help lines: Audience poll, phone-a-friend stays, 50/50 option is replaced with a new helpline- Ask the Expert. ‘Watch’ is called ‘Ghadiyal Babu’ while ‘Computer Ji’ remains as is. Prize money is now Rs 5 crore. The show also gets a new name ‘KBC 2010’ and not KBC season 4.
* Speaking of KBC, anyone up for lunch with BIG B? You don’t have to pay the bill, but you do need to bid for the lunch date. The current bid is standing at INR 1,002,000.00 (Approximately US $22,529.97). Read about it here http://bit.ly/cLqLcR
* BIG BOSS 4 starts with song, dance, and drama in full force, Salman at his wicked best, and if you’re wondering about some unknown names, some of the profiles are ex-Mr India, ex-model, Pakistani host , Splitsvilla winner, chor, daaku, Kasab’s ex-lawyer among others. Think it sounds like fun, catch the ‘mazaa andar, mazedar bahar’ episodes on ‘COLORS’ starting today!
* But no reality show is without its share of controversies. The Shiv Sena and MNS have threatened to stall the run of BIG BOSS, protesting the inclusion of Pakistani artistes in the 4th season hosted by Salman Khan.
* Hisss star Mallika Sherawat will be a special guest at Robert De Niro's Tribeca Film Festival in Doha, Qatar end October.
* All those who thought Anjaana Anjaani rocked (Im not one of you-my review) Priyanka Chopra and Ranbir Kapoor will romance again in Anurag Basu’s 'Silence'.
* It’s raining endorsements for celebs. After Malaika Arora-Khan gets signed for Zandu Blam, Bipasha Basu will endorse Emami. Asin for Amrutanjan, Aamir Khan is the new ambassador for Mahindra Two Wheelers, Sameera Reddy for MTS mobiles, Karishma Kapoor for Puretta Baby wipes.
* Ajay Devgn, Akshaye Khanna starrer 'Aakrosh' closes its fight with the censor board, gets an A certificate and prepares for its release on 15th October.
There are some good, bad and some very bad movies lined up! :)
* Ram Gopal Varma sings for his next – RAKHT CHARITRA. Although RGV is singing the telugu version, Suresh wadkar is doing the same is Hindi
* No Problem Theatrical Trailer is out! Yipee! It stars Sanjay Dutt, Akshaye Khanna, Kangana Ranaut, Sushmita Sen, Anil Kapoor, Suniel Shetty, Paresh Rawal and Neetu Chandra. *PHEW* and is a December 10th release.
* Theatrical Trailer of 'Break ke Baad' starring Imran Khan and Deepika Padukone is out. Looks like IHLS without Sonam. Anyone else feels Imran is getting typecasted?!
* Knock Out promo is out staring Kangana Ranaut, Sanjay Dutt and Irfan Khan, directed by Mani Shankar, scheduled to release on 15 October 2010. Yet another remake for Btown, this one is picked of ‘Phone booth’ starring Collin Farell
What’s brewing this week!
* Superstar Rajinikanth will be in Mumbai on Monday, October 04, 2010 for a special screening of ROBOT at a suburban theatre.
* A book on KBC will be launched on Oct 7th and will be available at leading stores for 95/-. Don’t know what the contents are, will have to wait till the launch.
Cine-scope this Friday! (Films releasing 8th October 2010)(Not the complete list, only selective ones)
* Crook (Hindi) – Starring – Emraan Hashmi, Arjan Bajwa, Neha Sharma (Hindi debut)
Crook: It's Good To Be Bad is based on the racial attacks on Indian students in Australia and will look into segregation, discrimination and racism among all kinds of people. Emraan Hashmi plays the role of an Indian middle class guy who goes to Australia in search of a better life. His character is a crook who, at times, uses unfair means in his life to achieve his goals. Neha Sharma plays a girl born and brought up in Australia who tries to mend the cultural gap between Indians and Australians.
What works: Combinations of Emraan hashmi and Mohit Suri have given decent hits at the box office with Raaz2. Hopefully they repeat it.
What does not work: There is nil pre-release hype for the movie. There have been no marketing efforts from the team and hardly anything is known about the movie, which is leading to no curiosity to watch in theatres. Previous week’s releases Robot, Anjaana Anjaani are still going strong and may have a cascading effect on the opening.
* Do Dooni Chaar (Hindi) – Starring – Rishi and Neetu Kapoor
When was the last time you saw something - on a window display, on Amazon.com, in the flight magazine - and told yourself, 'Someday, I'll buy that!'? Santosh Duggal fights that battle almost every day! When Duggal’s sister comes visiting to invite them to a wedding at her in-laws, she gives them an ultimatum: They have to come by a car. The only problem is that the Duggals don't own a car. After putting together all their resources, one big hole remains to be filled. Do Dooni Chaar talks of the middleclass man and his struggle in coping with the fast, new 'India Shining'.
What works: The movie marks the comeback of Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh as a lead pair on the big screen albeit a completely different avatar wherein they play husband wife of a middle class family. Also, the central theme laced with humor can score well with the particular section of the society
What does not work: Small budget, unimpressive musical score, no fancy names, no foreign locations - movie boasts of none of the usual requirements of an average cinegoer these days. Hopefully, the lead couple should be able to pull in crowds and even if the opening isn’t huge, word of mouth should be strong to help the film sustain. In addition, since it’s a family movie, first 3 weeks of October is a time forexams etc, which could also deter audiences. Again, it is bound to receive competition from Robot, Anjaana Anjaani.
Tweet (le) birdie told me! (Kyunki har Tweet kuch kehta hai!)
(Disclaimer: No vocabulary/grammatical corrections done. Decode at your own risk :) )
While KARAN JOHAR goes on a twitter sabbatical, latest entrant to join Twitter is choreographer/director FARAH KHAN. (in time for Tess Maar Khan promotions?)
@Thefarahkhan Off 2 shoot last 2 days of entrtnment ke liye.sad n relieved.wi miss the show.lekin shairi se toh chutkaara milega.sorry 4 calng it shairi.
@beingsalmankhan Was watching usha uthup ji , she rocks , a total rock star. .
@priyankachopra http://moby.to/fcj848 - Bloody traffic.. Uff.. I have a flt to make.. Tryin to calm my nerves listenin to tujhe bhula diya.. Its my anthem
@realprietyzinta Meetings , meetings and more meetings today ! Phew ! I hate sitting in one room and in one seat ! Grrrrrr ! Need to get out and stretch ....
@iamsrk direction deptt says i am delaying shoot by coming late on sets. this is a first in 20 yrs, bas yehi sunna reh gaya tha..ha ha.
@deepikapadukone Shooting for fiama last couple of days...hair shoots are THE most exhausting!but completely worth it...
@vivek_oberoi The gym is empty..cmon,workout with me! I need inspiration tweeps..waiting 4u sleepyheads to WAKE UP!!! ;) lol http://plixi.com/p/47705794
@bipsluvurself http://twitpic.com/2ttnwp - RockyS my dearest friend shares his bday wth al these grt ppl!No wonder he is al heart!Love him:)
@bomanirani working on 4 movies right now. Don2, bullet train, stand by me, ferrari ki sawari.
@riteishd Watching Rakhi Sawant on IndiaTV 's Aap ki Adalat - she is too entertaining- enjoying d show
@duttalara Off 2 a european sojourn before joining my cast & crew in Berlin! Best friend is getting married so going 2 b a 'best woman' 4 the 1st time!
@anumpampkher Fether called from Simla,"Do you know why when Canada has day, we have nite?""You tell me Dad."" I also don't know,Ask ur twitter friends.:)
@R_khanna (Rahul Khanna) On a quest for inspiration for a piece @VogueIndia has commissioned me to write. New Blank Document, you're a cruel mistress.